Sunday 13 April 2014

That what I wanted to know

Today big question was what do I do with all this stuff that came when I installed Joomla. I was at a point of think of uninstalling it all and starting again so as not to have the sample data installed. The guide came to the rescue. The opening par of the next chapter show you how to delete content, article and generally all the sample data install. The guide also states that this data can be recovered as it not truly deleted and can be found somewhere in the data base. Thing are removed to the trash and then permanently deleted when you empty the trash.

The Bold came at the start of this chapter is you can make a website in an hour. in truth it took all day. First order of the day was to create a logo in Photoshop with drop shadows and saved as a png on a transparent back ground.
Created logo
I have not got the name for the site worked out yet so this is my holding position. The logo is put in position via the template manager and at this moment is inserted in to the template Beez 2 via the advanced options and up loaded into a folder that holds other elements. The next task is to replace the header image, this is the first time tat we are going to access directly to the code via a ftp program, I am using Filezilla to gain access to the folder where the banner image is held and by changing the name of the banner currently using and renaming the file to the banners original it will take up an used by the site.
Banner image
I did however have an issue when I did this I put it in the wrong image folder, there are a lot of sub-folder with the same name and its important that you use the right one. The next action was to use the template manager to alter the css of the text under the logo, those familiar with code will find this easy. All we had to do is change the font height which was expressed in em and the font color.
 The rest of the chapter takes you through adding articles and categories and linking menu and setting up a contact page .

 I created a short form to help me remember what to do when creating content.

Creating a Category

Content/Category Manager/add a new category
populate the category with an article

Creating an article

Content/Article Manager/add a new article
assign to a category you have created
assign category to a menu 

Creating a menu

Menu/main menu/add a new menu item
assign a menu type
assign a category

I know this is very simplistic but it works for me. I don't believe you can create a menu unless you have a category and that has been my starting point when adding something new.



No comments:

Post a Comment