Sunday 27 November 2011

Inspiration from Abram Games



After viewing the work of many graphic designer post 2nd world war it was this poster by Abram Games that seem to resonate with me. I love the strong angular image of the man face. The way he has used many different gradients to describe its contours. The poster appeals to a different world. The war has ended but the army still need men. You are not being asked to fight for King and Country, but to do a worthwhile job in the services of his majesty. You could be proud and strong like the image of this man in the poster. Though the man is not looking skyward blue sky’s and better days are ahead. We are reminded of the danger of the job in the army as the man is wearing a helmet.

Working through the idea in illustrator.

 
I did not believe I had the skill set to be able to reproduce this image and morph it into a poster to highlight an aspect of social media set out in the brief. But I was determined to try and could not stop until I had made a passable facsimile. I hope you feel that I have achieved something in that direction.


1 comment:

  1. I noticed whilst read Sword of Honor by Evelyn Waugh that the publisher used this image on the cover and wondered if it was original art until I looked it up.

    ReplyDelete